The District has recently certified it's first Scotts Valley Monterey Bay Friendly Landscapes! This voluntary rating system applies to new construction or renovations, providing property owners and professionals with a regionally consistent framework for creating healthy, environmentally sound landscapes. Certified landscape owners meeting Monterey Bay Friendly standards are provided public recognition, educational signage and life-long discounts at over 20 local nurseries, irrigation suppliers and related businesses.
Some of the landscape criteria include:
- Use of mulch and compost in planting beds
- Natural pruning and spacing of plants
- Growing drought tolerant plants
- Reducing lawn to no more than 25% of the landscape
- Using low-volume irrigation and preventing irrigation run-off
See http://green-gardener.org/portfolio/landscape_certification/# for the full criteria and contact us at email@example.com if you would like to participate. We are happy to come by at no charge to evaluate your property- sometimes only a few adjustments can make your home or business bay friendly.